For Immediate Release
Contact: Brian Greenleaf
East Grand Rapids Communications, 906.221.9174
East Grand Rapids Completes Tree Inventory
Study Will Allow City to Manage Urban Canopy More Effectively
East Grand Rapids, Michigan, August 9, 2016 – The City of East Grand Rapids recently completed an inventory of trees located within public spaces including out-lawn areas, public parks and Gaslight Village.
Over the course of several months, Ohio-based Davey Resource Group collected and analyzed the inventory data to give an assessment of each tree location, size, species, condition and recommended maintenance activities. The study was conducted to promote and preserve the urban forest and improve the management of public trees in East Grand Rapids.
This is the first time the city has systematically inventoried its trees.
“One of the signature characteristics of East Grand Rapids is our robust urban canopy,” Mayor Amna Seibold said. “This study was an important step in ensuring that we are managing our resources appropriately so we can continue to enjoy the aesthetic and environmental benefits our trees bring.
“Not only did we want to preserve our urban forest, but we want to maintain it for the next generation of East Grand Rapids residents.”
A number of highlights came from the study, including:
- The total value of public trees in the city is $7.4 million
- 7,082 trees and 31 stumps were inventoried
- 44 percent of the city’s urban forest is in the “established” category, which is between nine and 17 diameters at breast height
- The overall condition of the tree population is good
Another highlight is the tree population provides approximately $883,776 in these annual benefits:
- Aesthetic and other tangible benefits, valued at $276,361 per year
- 15,245.3 pounds of pollutants removed, valued at $42,858 per year
- 4,410,593 pounds of net total carbon sequestered and avoided, valued at $33,079 per year
- 1,251.2 megawatt-hours and 169,572.8 therms of energy, valued at $261,150 per year
- 9,975,209 gallons of storm water, valued at $270,328 per year