Early on the morning 01/02/03, I put on a pair of pink bunny slippers, climbed the stairs to my attic office and sat down at a build-it-yourself desk to launch Sabo PR.
Thirteen years later, I sat down to reflect on what I’ve learned along the way and wanted to share a baker’s dozen worth of the lessons that stay with me:
- Number your invoices.
- A handshake is the best contract.
- Always return calls promptly – and remember that your competitors often do not.
- Own your mistakes.
- Be generous.
- Take every opportunity to praise the good work of your team.
- When planning an outdoor event, be sure to take the wind into serious consideration.
- Pick your battles.
- When it comes to the media, pick your battles very carefully.
- Don’t be afraid to turn down clients whose ethics don’t match yours.
- Take the high road.
- Accurate spelling and proper grammar and punctuation matter – even in social media.
- Forget under promise – always over deliver.
Of course, show up on time and don’t steal are a given.
Here’s to 13 more wonderful years – and perhaps a few beyond that!